Friday, April 22, 2005

It's the first day of my last year of my third decade on this Earth. Which makes it sound like I've spent time on other earths or planets, but that would be incorrect. That I know of.

Last year I told you the story of the day I was born, and mentioned the myriad notable people with whom I share a birthday although I did leave out John Waters (59)--the hell?--so this year I'll just be telling you about a birthday celebration from my past. Specifically, the cake from the party.

I'm the youngest of 6, and significantly younger than my sibs, so by the time I was born they saw me more as a great toy than anything else. This exerted itself particularly on my birthdays, when the whole family would go to town putting together 'dos with the neighborhood kids. We had an awesome, huge backyard complete with a hammock and sandbox and don't think there wasn't much running and havoc to be had. Anyway, one year--I want to say 1981 or '82--my party was themed all things Dukes of Hazzard. The centerpiece of this was a General Lee cake. And I don't just mean a square cake decorated with the Stars n' Bars...I mean this thing was cut, with relief, to look *exactly* like the famous Dodge Charger, orange frosting, "01" on the side--the works. I wish I had the picture to show you (and I'll go a'huntin' next time I'm at my mom's) but if that's not a rockin' birthday cake, then I don't know what is.

Good times, good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home