Sunday, October 03, 2004

For awhile now I've wanted to figure out the running trail around Arlington National Cemetery. Whenever I drive past I notice people riding and running thereabouts, so I knew it was possible but couldn't figure out by looking exactly how one got around over there. Well, today dawned bright, clear, and cool (IloveFallsomuchohmygah) so it seemed the perfect time to go see what I could find. It is definitely round-about, requiring several quicky-quick crossings of the GW Parkway and Rt. 110, but the views are spectacular. Astonishingly, I had never actually been to ANC (and still technically haven't, as I only ran around it--you can't, obviously, run through it) but I got pretty close to the USMC/Iwo Jima Memorial, the Netherlands Carillon, and the Hemicycle at the head of Memorial Avenue. We're not maudlin here at BlogSport, but I got a little choked up. It's very stirring and brings out the patriotic in just about anyone. From there I made my way to the Pentagon and south Arlington in general. I'll probably stick to the Parkway and the Mall, as all those traffic crossings don't do much for keeping up your pace, but it was the perfect Sunday run and I was glad to check something off of my "To See in DC" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home