Friday, September 17, 2004

I hate it when people, in the course of a common daily exchange, take the opportunity to be tight-assed about their grammar and show you up as though you're stupid.

Just now, in helping a student, I was asked, "How are you?" to which I replied, "I'm good." Shut up, I know...more in a second. So then I asked in reply, "How are you doing?" AND HE CAME UP WITH THE ENTIRELY GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT, "I'm well, thank you."

I KNOW. I know that I should have used the adverb "well." I KNOW. I would argue however that "good" is colloquial, it's ubiquitous, and it's not entirely wrong (see usage note under "adverb")!! But his answer made me sound and feel stupid, which was, you know, unpleasant.

Plus so many of these kids walk around with a holier-than-thou "I'm so devastatingly smart even *I* can't stand it sometimes" air that I don't enjoy digging myself into a hole any deeper than the one I currently occupy. Because, sadly for them, they do not know that I am The Shit. Only you guys do. Lucky you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home