Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Normally I don't dwell too much on grammar or semantics here at BlogSport. I have a few Strunk & White-esque pet peeves (split infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions, for example) but I keep them to myself, silently judge the ignorant, and go on about my day. HOWEVER I've seen a blunder today that irks the shit out of me, not least because I've seen it in 3 separate places, so I must vent thusly:

"The College of Cardinals will begin a secret conclave...." (CNN)

"Secret conclave to convene April 18...." (NBC4)

"Secret papal election set for April 18th...." (MyWay)

SECRET: 1.something kept from view, hidden or unexplained 2. not acknowledged 3. something kept from the knowledge of others or shared only confidentially with a few (Merriam Webster)

If we all know 1. that it's happening and 2. where and when it's happening, THEN IT'S NOT A FUCKING SECRET, OKAY??!?!?!?! The proceedings are done in secret and the exact workings of the conclave are unknown to the general public, but the meeting itself is. not. secret. I can see people not knowing how to use "distemper" or "irony" or "(ir)regardless" (well, no I can't really but then again I swear a lot so I can't be *that* much of a stickler) but secret? Come the fuck on. A little precision please, Baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home