Monday, May 10, 2004

You know you're getting old when the formulaic action/adventure movies that once thrilled you now look like ham-fisted attempts to separate you from your hard-earned dollah billz. I saw "Van Helsing" over the weekend, and where I once would have swooned at the slow-motion "isn't he astonishing manly and handsome" shots of the leading man, or mentally re-cast myself as the ass-kicking yet feminine heroine, now I see through all those gimmicks and come away have rolled my eyes harder than Shii-Ann. Written and directed by Stephen Sommers (of "The Mummy" franchise--a pair of movies I freely admit to liking very much) it borrows liberally from most of the great horror characters in literature--Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, werewolves--and totally revamps (no pun intended) Abraham Van Helsing of Bram Stoker's "Dracula." I love me some Hugh Jackman, and he does a good job of not taking himself too seriously (IMHO). There's also a good comedic cameo from David Wenham (Faramir in the Lord of the Rings movies). Other than that, this reviewer gives it a "meh." The movie wasn't *terrible* but I am SO glad that I only saw it at matinee prices. I recommend you do the same, or wait and Netflix it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home