Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Good Passover

Last night I attended my first Seder, the meal celebrated in the Jewish faith to mark the beginning of Passover. I went to the dinner thinking that the serving of kosher foods and the attendance of at least one practicing Jew were what would make it a Jewish dinner as opposed to any other dinner, but in fact the Seder is a lovely and complex organization of ritual, history, participation, food, and song. I was flattered and touched to be asked to join in an evening so full of tradition, symbolism, and amazing foods (all of which had their own particular meaning in the night's themes). Personally I've strayed pretty far from organized religion, so this was a wonderful reminder of how belief (of any kind) can be very fulfilling when practiced with a joy of spirit. Truly a special night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home