Saturday, March 13, 2004

I spent the better part of the day packing boxes, loading my car, driving to my new apartment, unloading my car and unpacking boxes. My back thanks me for this.

Awhile back Kristin wisely pointed out that, each time you move, EVERY SINGLE THING YOU OWN passes through your hands. That's exhausting to think about. I've tried so hard for the past several years to avoid accumulating all the random flotsam and jetsam that it seems all too easy to store and let clutter my space. Mainly I do this because I move once every year, or if I'm lucky, once every two years (see 3/8 post about ants-in-pants and making up for missing military moves). I like the organization part of moving--unpacking and arranging all my things in a new place--but the logistics of a move itself are a pain in the ass. Major life alterations like this always give a rough time too (albeit temporarily). Did I pick the right place? Is it safe? Will I have cool neighbors? Will all my stuff fit? I always experience some moment of butterflies and/or sadness....excitement for the new things I'll learn and experience and nostalgia for the routine/people/places I'm leaving behind. This is also the first time in my life that I will be living totally alone. My space, my stuff, my responsibility. Again, cool/scary. But considering that I'm almost 28, it's probably about time that I put on my Big Girl Pants, don't you think? Mmmm hmm. Me too.

Oh, and did I mention I'm only moving about 5 miles away? Yeah. Perhaps I have overdramatized.... But still. Work with me here. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home