Friday, August 19, 2005

I'm buzzing on coffee after a good night's sleep, just finished my book, and am ready, finally, to do what will probably be a paltry and unnecessarily-hyped entry about last weekend. But since it's almost this weekend, I figured I best get on that biz...

Friday after work I met up with Erin D., Erinn N. (WOO! so great to see her after almost a year...too long!), Betsy, and Erinn's UVa friend Sue for a chill girls' evening. We ended up destroying hors d'oeuvres and drinks at Erin's, only to follow it up with klassy Pizza Mart (? Bets...help me here w/ the name) pie. I was so wiped from the first official week of work that I didn't contribute much beyond thumbing through US Weeklys on the coach and adding the occasional comment, but it was so wonderful to see everyone and just be around peeps.

Saturday was the activity portion of the weekend. I signed up for Loudon County is for Women in the Outdoors, a day-long seminar for women who want to be more involved in outdoor recreation. You could choose from a number of clinics on things like fly fishing, archery, survival skills, etc. for 2 4-hour sessions. I had such a blast being outside all day, learning stuff to help me camp and hike and not end up hurt or de'ed. Being around just women took off all the pressure and we lived it up. I was on the go from 5:45 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and it was about all I could do to bathe and fall into bed Saturday night, but it was so worth it.

What I most wanted to recount about the day, though, were the general surroundings. Ideally I would have pictures to go with this tale, but I just couldn't figure out how to snap the pictures of what I found amusing without coming off as judgmental or condescending and friends, these people had firearms, so I wasn't about to go down that road. Not even for irony.
The event was hosted by a local chapter of an outdoors' league, but was organized by the National Wild Turkey Federation. And the NWTF is all about hunting. So the lodge was all about dead, stuffed creatures, posters proudly proclaiming membership in the NRA, and raffle prizes that included a wild turkey cookie jar and salt n' pepper shakers. Needless to say I did not buy any raffle tickets. The boys that were there (instructors, etc.) were of the Good Old variety, and were so helpful in setting up the station where you'd get fitted for your CUSTOM RIFLE-RANGE EAR PLUGS. As everyone should do.
Actually most of my smack talk is for blogging purposes because I was genuinely bummed not to make it into the handgun seminar (I canoed instead). I don't object to weaponry on principle, and people who handle guns and themselves calmly and responsibly--more power to you. But little liberal voices inside my head were definitely chirping here and there throughout the day. Until I told them to hush up so I could concentrate on orienteering, because a lost Doss is not something any of us wants.

Sunday I trotted over to Suzi's to be treated to homemade popovers and strawberry butter and banana nut muffins. Girlfriend? CAN COOK. We drank coffee and chatted and then watched the earlier-mentioned Alias episodes, with a quick run to CostCo and Trader Joe's thrown in for good measure. I ended up doing nothing of the "cleaning the house" variety that day but ask me if I care.

Now...on to this weekend, which will feature a bluegrass festival, cooking out with PEby, and perhaps a run to, as TV calls it, FredVegas, with the man himself! Bring it on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home